Flight Team Headquarters
Welcome to the Flight Team. How much work you do on the team is completely up to you. The only stipulation is to do the things you volunteer for or tell Julia if something comes up and you can’t complete your task.
So, bookmark this page and come here for the list (frequently updated) of things that need doing. When you’ve found something you’re willing to do, tell Julia, and she’ll coordinate with you. Some of these things are simple and short; some are long-term and complicated. Some you need to do ASAP; some won’t need doing until after the auction. Some are always a need, and you can sign on for a week or month or whatever.
Feel free to take on as many tasks as you like, but keep it fun.
Before the Auction
1. Proofread. This site now has well over 150 pages, with one often-rushed webmistress doing the creating and updating. Proofreaders look the page over for mistakes (which means checking all the links) and should make any suggestions they like for wording and content.
2. Social Media. We have lovely people covering Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram, so what we need are people who are members of communities where authors and artists and SPN fans hang out to share our ads and spread the word.
3. Translator. Because Julia is American, her foriegn language skills are limited to things like “Dale una cerveza.” Would you be willing to translate things into whatever other language you know for ads and announcements?
4. Nerd. Julia’s knowledge of server-side stuff is quite limited. She could really use some help with making the site work better.
5. Ad Maker. We need people willing to help make ads for the auction. Obviously, this includes artists, but we also need people who have good ideas to suggest and people willing to be a “test audience,” proofreaders, image-finders, and so on. Our theme for Auction 2020 is parodies of great moments in literature. To see how are ads work, check out our
6. Personal Assistant. Some people take on a specific project for Fic Facer$ (make a video, put together a newsletter) and could use a little support. Would you be willing? Contact Julia to learn who could currently use a helper.
During the Auction
1. Site-sit. During the two weeks of the auction (June 12-26, 2020), the site has to be up and working 24/7. Site-sitters need to check the site periodically during their shift and will be given a phone number to call Julia in the event the site goes down/gets hacked. Site-sitters are needed mostly while Julia is sleeping, so people not in the US central standard time are particularly needed.
After the Auction
1. Beta-Read. Many of the authors will want beta-readers to help them with brainstorming and/or editing. Julia will pair up beta-readers and authors right away, and then authors will have you to help them as needed.
2. Pitch Hit. We have a lot of wonderful people volunteering, but sometimes life happens and a creative cannot fulfill their auction lot. Would you be on a list Julia can contact to find someone to take a creative’s place in such a case? (Signing up for this doesn’t mean you have to take over the art or story, just that it’s OK for Julia to ask.)
3. Social Media. Again, we need people who are members of communities where authors and artists and SPN fans hang out, but now to share links to stories and artwork done for the auction. We need to keep our brand active online year-round, and we want to show that stories and art really do get done.
4. Personal Assistant. Some people take on a specific project for Fic Facer$ (make a video, put together a newsletter) and could use a little support. Would you be willing even after the auction? Contact Julia to learn who could currently use a helper.